Hearty & Healthy Salmon Corn Chowder
A family-favorite, hearty chowder that wins both Healthy and Comfort Food honors. Spruce Camp Salmon Jerky brings heart healthy, brain healthy protein and omega oils to the dish. Red bell pepper imparts a beautiful hue to the chowder (and is a great source of vitamin C).
- 2.5 ounces of diced Spruce Camp Salmon Jerky
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (3-4 ears)
- 3 tablespoons water, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, plus leaves for garnish
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in large skillet (we like cast iron). Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic to the pan; cook, stirring often, until browned and tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the bell pepper mixture to a medium bowl; set aside. Add corn, 2 Tbsp. water, and salt to the pan; cook, stirring often, until the corn is golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 Tbsp. water, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits.
- Return the bell pepper mixture to the pan. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in ¼ cup broth and wine; cook, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen browned bits, for 1 minute. Stir in salmon jerky bits, potatoes, the remaining 1¾ cups broth, and thyme. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove and discard the thyme sprigs. Stir in half-and-half and then garnish with ground pepper.